Saturday, August 16, 2008

Time with my sister...

I was originally booked to go through LA and arrive in Seattle at 3:30. But they overbooked my flights, so I got bumped to United #339 direct to Seattle arriving at 1:15. I don't think I will ever check bags again. Life just got a little easier.

So no long line to check bags, no layover, two extra hours in Seattle, and then it got even better... I had the privilege of sitting next to a Missouri corn and cattle farmer on the plane. He had never seen the mountains or the Pacific ocean. He and his wife were on their way to Seattle to board a Bill and Gloria Gather cruise to Alaska. Talk about worlds colliding! What a simplistic, content, and gentle man. The thrill in his eyes when we flew right past Mt. Ranier made the inside of me smile. I told them to have a wonderful time on their cruise, even though I was choking at the thought of the Gathers. To each his own, right?


Di picked me up and we went for a picnic on the Puget Sound. She is experimenting with different recipes right now. Chicken sauteed in red wine and a boquet garni of spices. Zuchini stuffed with goat cheese and dried cranberries. Fresh organic snap peas, and hard cider (Di shares my gluten free challenge). So strange to be by salt water and deciduous trees at the same time, while seeing the mountains across the bay. No, not strange, damn lucky. I close my eyes, thank the artist, and miss California all at the same time.

So this conference is kind of one of those so-so experiences. I do enjoy listening to Michael Frost speak, probably due in part to his accent. I've always had a fascination with Australia and New Zealand, he is a native of Sydney. Now here's an oxymoron. The man is a southern baptist minister and he has taken on the role of opening speaker for the neighborhood's local artist exhibits. In so many ways, appearance, speech, mannerisms, passions, he defies the word stereotype. I love it.

I was really struck by this statement, which coincides with my desire to become a better listener and create more space for people..."If you would listen to your patients, they would tell you how to heal them." Now a lot of my patients are not verbal (yet!) but they do communicate with me through crying, body language, facial expressions. Maybe it's time to pull out "The Baby Whisperer" and read it again!

Di introduced me to the concept of a "cower" this morning. Shower with coffee. I think it's a great idea, and am surprised I've never tried it before. Her friends in college used to take bowers. Can't take one of those, thanks to gluten.

This afternoon we will see the flying fish at Pikes Place Market and visit the Fry. I love the wonder of exploring a new place, with one of my most favorite people in the world.

1 comment:

Rally said...

Sounds like a wonderful time~ Don't you love Seattle and flying fish, and being in the company of those you love.