Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Butterfly Wings

One of my favorite people in this world is a little person named Grace. Blond hair, blue eyes, a strong will, a dramatic personality, and a tender heart. A $13 Cinderella Princess set was all it took to make a third Birthday one of the best days of the year. A few weeks later, I tried to expand the princess's world by reading her one of my all-time favorites: "Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?" The answer (an overwhelming) - yes!


I recently had the privilege of using the Pierce Airport Shuttle Service to and from DIA. Before departure to the airport, Grace put on her butterfly costume (with wings!) to show me. I watched her "fly" around the living room, giggling with a delight that can only come from a little person. She wore her butterfly costume to the airport, but sadly, Mom had to take the wings off so that Miss Grace could fit in her carseat.


As we drove up E-470, Mom (Missy) told me about the day that Grace got her wings... she put on her costume, and started running, and it wasn't too long after that, she came to her mother, sad and dejected.


"Grace, what's wrong?"


"Mommy, they don't work. I can't fly."


We laughed, and delighted in one of the most wonderful realities in life... the mind of a child. To be able to believe for a couple of moments, that putting on wings could actually make you fly... wouldn't it be fun to be three years old again, if only for a day.




No comments: