Sunday, August 10, 2008

Farewell Suburbia


I have moved to the city! And I have to laugh - it seems like every time I move (which has been pretty frequently in the last three years), I downsize another 25%. I think about my condo back in Michigan - 2 bedrooms, 4 closets, dining room, living room, full kitchen with ammenities, and a sizable storage unit. All that space just for me, and I had no problem filling it. Then Travel Nursing taught me that I really don't need anything I can't fit in a Ford Focus. Above is the car that taught me one of life's greatest lessons: if it doesn't fit in here, it goes. I will never forget my friend Andrea, tackling the Ultimate Packing Challenge for San Diego to C.S. '06. It was a legendary packing job. Thank you, Andrea.

Today I am a Denverite, and I am sitting in my 400 square foot studio, observing all of the charm that the early 20th century period has to offer. I take on the challenge of a small living space with enthusiasm. What else can I live without and throw to the curb, or better yet, give to someone who really needs it? Where can I hang a curtain to hide the laundry basket, or use a draw divider to maximize space? My mahogany wood against the pale yellow walls takes me back three years to a winery in Tuscany... brick walls and fields of poppies. I smile, then remind myself that I am in Denver.

From my new place I can walk to the grocery store, the dry cleaners, the wine store, 2 pubs, and 4 restaurants. I am excited to walk, to bike, and to save the Rav for trips to the mountains (my small contribution to the very large oil crisis).

Yeah, I think this urban thing is going to work. In addition to the wonderful people that have been welcomed to my life, I will miss Pikes Peak. I will not miss strip malls.

1 comment:

Rally said...

Great Post. I miss our walks though! I look forward to walk from a new doorstep to... wherever you'd like to show me. Unfortunatley I will have to contribute to the oil crisis and drive an hour to take that walk ;).