Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thanksgiving and Migraines

I usually hop out of bed and begin my day running... I've had more than a full plate lately, with preparations and research for Uganda, writing every chance I can get, rearranging the schedule to accomodate trips to the High Lands, and reading my new fav "The End of Poverty." Oh, and did I mention that I still work full time? Work has been a bit of an afterthought lately.

I don't have time for migraines. There's too much life going on. But the reality is, they happen, and I've tried everything... mega hydration, prevention with diet, increased intake of soy, more sleep, scheduled relaxation, massages, prayer and meditation, caffeine and chocolate, light in moderation. No bueno.

This morning I dragged myself out of bed in a migraine hangover. Those of you who have had a migraine attack, know what I'm talking about! It took me two hours and two cups of coffee to get going this morning. I have decided to take my wholistic self to the traditional MD and get some amo to blast these headaches back to where they belong. Nuff said.

Okay, so every Thanksgiving for the past three years, I have spent the day with my friends from high school (who now live here in Denver). We have a very non-traditional holiday. Probably the most traditional part of it, is the NFL. Scot makes a to-die-for vegetarian stuffing, a free-range-organic turkey, and the newest addition... chocolate martinis. What a celebration! For me, Thanksgiving is one of the best days of the year... because I love eating, but more so, it is the gift of being with people that I call family, and celebrating all that is good, and the One who has given us the good. I can't wait!

Scot always closes the Thanksgiving invitation with this quote (it makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time!) Those of you who know me well, know the burden that I feel for the plight of native americans.

"I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land" - John Stewart.

No comments: