Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Furry Friends




I guess that in the grand scheme of things, a pet allergy isn't that bad - I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I was twenty years old when I developed my cat allergy and dogs were soon to follow. Until then I could snuggle with the barn kitties and hold Lady Jane like a baby. Those days quickly came to an end when my airway began to constrict and my eyes teared up.

The other night I was over at a friend's pad and he has this fat, fluffy kitty, and I couldn't help myself... I had to pet the little guy. I rubbed his soft belly as he rolled around on the floor. By the time I got home, my eyes were itching, and when I woke up the next morning, my right eye was swollen shut. Bad move, Rache. Oh, but I just couldn't help myself!

My reaction to kitties is by far the worst. Dad never let us have cats growing up simply because he hates them. I think his hatred is due to the fact that when he was three years old and his family lived on the farm, his kittens liked to sleep next to the tires of Grandma's car, it was warm there... you can figure out the rest. So no cats for the Cieslak girls. We always looked forward to farm days when we could play with the barn kitties. Dad did get us bunnies, and eventually a Border Collie, Lady.

Mom says that my very first word was not "Mama" or "Papa", it was "Dog." She would take me for walks and I would yell "Dog!" every time we would see one or hear a dog's bark. So I am both innately, and by default, a dog lover.

The take home message... Benadryl is a wonderful creation.

1 comment:

t said...

we keep benadryl in the house just for our friends with kitty allergies (which seems to be most of them!)...so you're safe if you ever come to visit us!!