Monday, September 8, 2008

War Photographer

I have recently become a documentary junkie... one more venue to feed my passion for learning. I found this one very intriguing... photojournalist James Nachtwey is a middle aged man who has dedicated his life to the art of photography and the cause of bringing justice to human suffering. "War Photographer" is a very slow moving doc, but the testimony of James Nachtwey is worth the pains of time. When he speaks, he tells the facts and shows very little emotion; his words are simple and somewhat monotone. About fifteen minutes into the movie, I became irritated with his very slow, stoic, composure, but as the story progressed, his passion, and tactics for survival in the field, brought purpose and explanation to his affect. I found myself admiring what had previously annoyed me. Kind of like a piece of art that I could care less about at first glance, but then when I read about the artist's vision and intent, I see the work with whole new eyes, and it becomes something beautiful to me.

Nachtwey decided to become a war photographer in the early 1970's. He felt that the brutality of the Vietnam war was not being effectively communicated through the media and government (imagine that!) but photographs taken by journalists in the field were showing a more authentic presentation of the conflict. Since then he has photographed glimpses of war in Kosovo, South Africa, and Rwanda. He also spent time focusing on poverty in Indonesia, and epidemics of cholera and famine in Africa. His pictures tell stories, communicate emotion, and beg for justice. He says that many people whom he requests to photograph welcome him because they want their stories told. In many cases they are recipients of incredible injustices, and Natchwey's photos provide a way for that injustice to be known to the world. He gives hurting people a voice by using his incredible gift as an artist.

In the first scene of this doc, Natchwey is photographing the funeral of a victim of war in Kosovo. Initially I was offended because I thought that he was exploiting the pain of these people, however, as I understood more of his purpose in giving suffering people a voice, I realized that it wasn't exploitation, it was an opportunity for the oppressed to speak and be heard. I was also struck by the sincerity of Natchwey's respect for the people he was photographing, which really distinguishes him from other combat photographers. At the conclusion of his story, he states: "I know that if I ever allow genuine compassion to be overtaken by personal ambition, I will have sold my soul. The only way I can justify my role is to have respect for the other person's predicament. The extent to which I do that is the extent to which I become accepted by the other, and to that extent I can accept myself."

Natchwey becomes part of the events that he photographs, and that is evident in his work. While photographing in Asia, he pled for the life of a man who was being killed for sport, and witnessed his murder. His pictures do speak an incredible justice, yet they have come at a great cost to him. In an interview he was asked, "How do you endure the suffering of so many?" To which he replied, "I channel my emotions into my work." And it shows.

While Natchwey was in Indonesia, he spent a month photographing a family that lived by the train tracks. The parents had four children and the father was missing an arm and leg due to being run over by a train a few years previous. The family had no shelter, they slept in the open on a blanket, and they bathed in a polluted river. Life Magazine did an article on the family, displaying Natchwey's pictures. A few months later Natchwey received a letter from a person who had read the article and was so moved that they committed to sending $20/month to the family. This person appologized for not being able to send more, but their social security check only provided $396/month. Now that is beautiful. It reminded me that we are so fortunate to be able to give, out of whatever it is that we have.

I think that the most inspiring aspect of Natchwey's work, aside from the unique marriage of art and philanthropy, is the fact that he puts his life on the line for people who have no means to repay him. Throughout the course of his career he has been wounded in crossfire four times and has endured horrible diseases. With this I am reminded that character is doing something for someone who can do nothing for you.

James Natchwey sees his photography as an antidote to war. By admiring his work, I am in no way advocating that war is in all circumstances, unnecessary. Unfortunately the world that we live in necessitates war at times, because evil must be stopped and the innocent must be defended. Yet the work and testimony of James Natchwey is truly admirable. His career as War Photographer has been an integration of talent, passion, conviction, character, and a compassion that exceeds the word "philanthropy."

Not to belittle our sufferings here, as I will testify to the weight of them, yet this doc reminded me that America is a very small slice of reality.

In the words of James Natchwey, "We are required to do what we can. If we don't, then who will?"

No comments: